Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Brady's reagent

hjhearle - 13-11-2012 at 12:16

Tried making up a solution of Brady's reagent as part of derivative formation with cinnamaldehyde today.... trouble is it looked like lumpy bright red poster paint. Horrible gloop! :P Sure this isn't right! It didn't exactly precipitate how I expected...

Is there any specific ratio in which to add the conc. suplhuric acid, methanol and 2,4-dnp?

Magpie - 13-11-2012 at 13:26

See Vogel, p. 1061, in the forum library.

Although not specifically identified as Brady's reagent, it says:

"Suspend 2.0 of 2:4 dinitrophenylhydrazine in 100mL of methanol; add cautiously and slowly 4.0 mL of con sulfuric acid. The mixture becomes warm and the solid usually dissolves completely. Filter if necessary."

I presume that's 2.0g of 2,4 DNPH.

unionised - 13-11-2012 at 14:16

Some DNPH derivatives are rather insoluble and don't form nice crystals when synthesised.
The aromatic aldehyde derivatives are (generally) orange or red so there's a good chance you have the right stuff.

Of course, it's possible that you have just got DNPH back, but if the red stuff formed as a ppt then some sort of reaction presumably took place.
(btw I have spent quite a lot of time playing with DNPH derivatives- I might remember to look for a picture sometime.

hjhearle - 13-11-2012 at 14:31

thanks for this, yeah would be good to see some photos make sure i'm doin the right thing :) cheers

chemrox - 13-11-2012 at 23:59

Maybe you went too fast .. do you have enough to try again? Post a photo or two..

hjhearle - 27-11-2012 at 05:28

Yeah I expect so.... didn't notice the "add cautiously" bit the first time.... oops :P Could have turned nasty....

The solution did grow fairly warm and there was a ppt (take it that means precipitate?- I'm fairly new to this!) but it wasn't exactly clearly defined.

Unfortunately, whilst I have some of the "ingredients" left, I don't have the time to try again, having just left school to work for my local council... and I'd just been granted access to a local university laboratory too!

Sorry guys, looks like this is the end of the line for me! however, it is still a piece of private interest.

Other thing is, does anyone know the definitive melting point of a (2E)-3-Phenylacrylaldehyde-2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone? Records for various sources are not concurrent...:D

hjhearle - 27-11-2012 at 05:29

Just realised that could have been abbreviated to cinnamaldehyde-2,4-DNP. A bit shorter! lol