Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Methyl / Ethyl Iodide

chrisbob44 - 29-10-2012 at 15:17

Hi guys,

I'm looking for both methyl and ethyl iodide for a project I'm about to embark on. I've found one or two sources, but they are as tight as a pigeons anus about shipping/ordering the stuff, so if any of you know of a amicable source, please do share. Thanks.

-C

kristofvagyok - 29-10-2012 at 15:33

There are several sources for MeI and EtI, they are commercial laboratory chemicals used for alkylation, the only thing you need is a good reason why you need it.

Call Sigma or look for a preparation of them, they are not that hard to make.

chemrox - 29-10-2012 at 15:43

They are hard to get because they are very toxic. At least the MeI is. I think I orderd a lot of EtI for density of mineral determinations. Might have been EtBr..long time ago. I got MeI from Spectrum.

Ephesian - 29-10-2012 at 15:48

I'll trade MeI for dimethyl sulfate

chrisbob44 - 29-10-2012 at 15:53

I know that they are not difficult to make, and more importantly I know what they are. I also am aware that they are toxic, and should not be played with. The reason I'd rather buy them comes down to cost effectiveness.

Just in case you are wondering, I am alkylating amphetamine to the respective secondary amine. Just kidding lol :D

I'm doing a science fair project on the ketonic decarboxylation of primary, secondary, and tertiary amines, and am looking to avoid dimethyl sulfoxide. I'm planning on using phenylalinine (I believe there's a dimethyl-phenylethylamine joke in there somewhere), proline, glycine, and possibly a few other AA's, and might try to get a hold of aniline-carboxylic acid. I'd appreciate input.

edit: those jokes were for the benefit of kristofvadyok, specifically for treating all newbies on this forum as cooks. P.S., I'm assuming your Hungarian. Wait to represent.

[Edited on 29-10-2012 by chrisbob44]

[Edited on 30-10-2012 by chrisbob44]