Sciencemadness Discussion Board

what scales to buy

Pyro - 20-8-2012 at 16:54

hello,
I have been wanting to upgrade my crappy 0.01g-200g pocket scales (partly because i lost them) for something a bit better.
I have been looking on ebay and have found these
they are fine for what I am doing, but there is a small thing that bothers me:all the other ones that resemble it are about 50EUR+ more.
but they are from the same manufacturer. should I just go for them? or should i get the more expensive ones?
thanks,
Alex

Ephesian - 21-8-2012 at 03:34

If you need a good balance try ohaus (brand) they have top of the line equipment as well as quality scales for relatively cheap prices. The "scale" you have listed looks like junk to me.

woelen - 21-8-2012 at 05:23

Maybe this one is interesting for you:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7009#p...

For me, this is a spare device, I have another similar Mettler scale. It weighs at 0.0001 g accuracy, but in practice I think it is more honest to rate it as a 0.0003 g scale.

I am willing to sell this for EUR 70. It works fine and if you do not need 0.0003 g accuracy, but 0.01 gram accuracy, then it works fast. If you want the last piece of accuracy, then you have to adjust a knob very carefully, but it gives you high accuracy for the effort. It can measure single spatulas of chemicals at 3 digit accuracy, which can be interesting for microscale experiments, where still good stoichiometric accuracy is needed (e.g. for experiments with very expensive chemicals).

Only problem is how to get it at your place. Sending it by post is no option, but I frequently go to the deep south of the Netherlands, so that may be an option for you.

Pyro - 22-8-2012 at 08:58

thanks woelen. I will get those.