Sciencemadness Discussion Board

toxicity of barium chloride

jamit - 24-7-2012 at 02:03

wikipaedia puts BaCl2 as having a toxicity of 2 (blue symbol). But what does that mean practically?

I'm working with barium carbonate and HCl to make barium chloride, to be used for sulfate tests. However, I'm curious as to how much precaution I should use... I'm using gloves and working outside (becuase it produces H2S).

Has anyone worked with barium chloride and what precautions did you take?

[Edited on 24-7-2012 by jamit]

DJF90 - 24-7-2012 at 02:33

Soluble barium salts are toxic in that they cause heavy metal poisoning, much like soluble lead and mercury salts. However, precipitation as the sulfate renders the barium insoluble, so much so that it is used as an orally administered suspension/meal prior to an x-ray of the digestive tract. So, my advice to you is to wear gloves, try not to spill any, and have a solution of a soluble sulfate salt (say sodium sulfate) to mop up any spills and dispose of any residues. In some instances you may find calcium chloride an appropriate substitute, as it also precipitates with sulfate ions but it is not as insoluble as the barium salt (solubility products are here: http://www.ktf-split.hr/periodni/en/abc/kpt.html)