Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Moisture absorber refill stuff.

MR AZIDE - 13-7-2012 at 10:56

Another OTC chemical find: ( UK people)

This is a big tub of crystals that I saw In a hardware store today.
Its for refilling those plastic moisture absorbers, that you put in a space to dehumidify it.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/insulation/kilrock-refill-for-moisture-traps-1kg/invt/0135524/

I cant find an MSDS, but on the back of the tub ,it seems its mostly, if not all full of CaCl2 powder / crystals, according to what I read on the back of the tub.
It can be bought in 1 and 2.5 Kg amounts.

Might be a nice easy access and cheap way of making freezing mixtures etc......

Hexavalent - 13-7-2012 at 11:53

I'm certain that this has been covered somewhere before.

How pure is the calcium chloride? Suitable for experiments, do you think?

MR AZIDE - 13-7-2012 at 12:00

Probably be OK for ice freezing mixtures, attaining a much lower temp than NaCl ice freezing mixtures.
Usefull for a dessicator/ drying agent.

I suppose if it is impure, it could be recrystallized, although it is very soluble.

We need an MSDS!!!!

Some moisture absorbers contain CaO.

Hexavalent - 13-7-2012 at 12:11

Dp us a favour; add some to liquid water. If it fizzes and reacts, then its probably calcium oxide. If it dissolves, and then a precipitate forms when you add some sodium sulfate or carbonate solution then it's likely to be calcium chloride.

Pyro - 13-7-2012 at 15:26

i bought some of that stuff lately, it comes in prills that look a lot like calcium oxide, but when i break em in half there is just a thin crust of powdery stuff, the rest is a crystal. it will be fine for drying substances. but I don't know about as a reagent