Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I need more solvents - which ones to get next?

chemrox - 1-7-2012 at 13:29

I have:
GAA
diethyl ether
THF
dioxane
EtOH
MeOH
cyclohexanol
n-pentanol
hexanes
n-heptane
ligroines high and low boiling
DMF
acetone
toluene
xylene
Et-acetate
dmso
g-butyrolactone
o-toluidine
benzene
dcm
1,2 dce
chloroform

I probably missed a few. Anyway I need more ketones and ethers. What would you get next?

barley81 - 1-7-2012 at 14:20

How about glyme and butanone (MEK)?

Lambda-Eyde - 1-7-2012 at 14:25

CCl<sub>4</sub> if you can get it. Also, glyme as already mentioned. Diethylene glycol, used for the Wolff-Kishner reduction and also as a reagent for making crown ethers via its dihalide/ditosylate.

BromicAcid - 1-7-2012 at 14:36

Dixylylethanes

chemrox - 1-7-2012 at 14:38

cool! got some CCl4- small bottle forgot to mention. Crown ethers? I definitely need those and didn't know about making them from diethylene glycol. Could you share a little more information on that? Thanks.

Lambda-Eyde - 1-7-2012 at 15:52

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
cool! got some CCl4- small bottle forgot to mention. Crown ethers? I definitely need those and didn't know about making them from diethylene glycol. Could you share a little more information on that? Thanks.

See this topic I posted earlier and the paper I uploaded in my last post in the thread.

kristofvagyok - 1-7-2012 at 16:44

Pyridine, piperidine, triethylamine (TEA)? They are really useful in million cases.

Or some dimethoxyethane? Crown ethers are really expensive....

And also don't forget decaline;)

BromicAcid - 1-7-2012 at 18:59

Crown ethers though wouldn't really count as a solvent since most are solids, it'd be more of a solvent modifier.

turd - 1-7-2012 at 22:14

A deactivated aromatic like chlorobenzene is a must for chloromethylations, etc. PEGs if you are into the nano-particle nonsense. Also I hear water is quite good for inorganic chemistry. HMPA is a classic polar aprotic.

Really, it depends on what you want to do...

chemrox - 1-7-2012 at 22:30

Yes and I didn't count pyridine, triethylamine, aniline, morpholine or 1-methylmorpholine for the reason that they are more often used as reagents. I definitely want some MEIBK, MEK, and some ethers. I just realized I only have one damned ether .. well not counting dioxane and THF. I do have acetonitrile and although the smell is irritating it dissolves a lot of compounds that otherwise defy solvation.