Sciencemadness Discussion Board

If you like bright colorful contrasts . . . .

woelen - 25-6-2012 at 09:42

I have done an experiment which shows some really amazing color transitions. A very interesting bright blue complex is formed, which slowly crystallizes from a bright red solution. The contrast hardly can be any better.

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/cobalt_thioc...

This experiment unfortunately requires very toxic chemicals, but at a small scale with the necessary precautions it definitely is worth trying to repeat it.

99chemicals - 25-6-2012 at 10:18

That is nice. I would repeat it but I do not have any mercury at all :(.

If you want to use the blue participate as a paint remember to lick your brush to nice fine lines.

bahamuth - 25-6-2012 at 12:36

Wow woelen, you never cease to amaze me with those experiments of yours. Where do you get the ideas from, is it chewing through old chemistry books or is it random trial and error, or even perhaps from a deep understanding of the complex world of chemistry?

It's a shame that a lot of the really beautiful compounds are more or less toxic, or else I would show them off to my kid, though I will in due time when he is older. Hope you don't mind me drawing inspiration from your amazing collection of chemical art when that time comes...

woelen - 26-6-2012 at 01:42

Many ideas indeed come from old books. In old times (around 1900) people found amazing things and chemistry at that time was much more a descriptive science, due to lack of theoretical understanding. If you read a lot of those experiments and perform experiments on your own, then indeed you begin to see patterns and are able to derive new experiments. Some of the experiments on my website hence are experiments I derived myself, but this example is inspired by an old pre WW-II textbook.

Rogeryermaw - 28-6-2012 at 00:15

woelen, as always, you blow me away with your fantastic work. thank you very very much for sharing this beautiful result. if i ever make it to the netherlands, would it be possible to meet you for a drink or snack to sit and pick your brain for a short time? you display more chemical talent in one finger than half of this board can hope to muster in a lifetime.