Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Strange crystallization

Adas - 5-6-2012 at 08:14

Hello guys, I have something special for you now.

A few months ago, I performed this experiment:

I put some Alpa (denat. alcohol, ethyl acetate, ethyl formate, linalool, mentol, cinnamal, citral, perfume) into a plastic container, added some NaOH, and then some fructose (which immediately decomposed into something red due to NaOH). The red something formed a layer on the bottom. After few days, I added some urine, but nothing happened. But after few days of sitting, the layers mixed and a light-red homogenous mixture was obtained.
I didn't know what to do with it, so after few more days I added some 30% H2O2, which, surprisingly, formed a layer on the bottom! But what was the strangest - after few seconds I noticed something forming in the upper layer, and I realized that the whole upper layer started to crystallize! Like supersaturated solution of NaOAc, but slower. And bubbles from the H2O2 decomp. lifted the crystallized layer up.

I am sorry to put such inaccurate info, but I don't even know the concentrations of those ingredients in Alpa (which is used for disinfection), so let's just speculate about what caused this interesting phenomenon. :P

I think, that it may be bacause of formation of Na acetate and formate by reaction of Ethyl acetate and formate, and NaOH, which did then crystallize, but it must have been pretty concentrated to crystallize like this, what surprises me.

Your ideas? :)

P. S.: Sorry for the bad photo quality, I used my phone, but you can see what you need to see. :D

Few minutes after crystallization: Photo1

After a day or two: Photo2

Endimion17 - 5-6-2012 at 08:39

It's urine(IV) tetrahydroperfumate.

You really expect us to know what that is? :D

Hexavalent - 5-6-2012 at 08:45

What have you eaten/drunk recently Adas?!:)

blogfast25 - 5-6-2012 at 08:51

And you didn't put some turpentine in there too?

Witches brews behave strangely. What did you expect? ;)

'something special', indeed...

[Edited on 5-6-2012 by blogfast25]

unionised - 5-6-2012 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
Hello guys, I have something special for you now.

A few months ago, I performed this experiment:

I put some Alpa (denat. alcohol, ethyl acetate, ethyl formate, linalool, mentol, cinnamal, citral, perfume) into a plastic container, added some NaOH, and then some fructose (which immediately decomposed into something red due to NaOH). The red something formed a layer on the bottom. After few days, I added some urine, but nothing happened. .

Why?

99chemicals - 5-6-2012 at 09:31

Did you do it on a full moon?

Adas - 5-6-2012 at 09:44

I don't know why. Probably I was so bored that day, that I mixed "everything with everything". :D (But only non-dangerous chemicals) But I like the fact that you enjoy my post, turned out to be funny to you :) Better than nothing :D

But it turned out to be an interesting phenomenon, didn't it? :)

[Edited on 5-6-2012 by Adas]

Eddygp - 5-6-2012 at 10:04

It might be some of these really complex compounds which includes urea and the acetate ion. Bear in mind the H2O2 can decompose the ethyl alcohol and maybe some compounds the urea had previously made.

Eddygp - 6-6-2012 at 05:35

any ideas?

unionised - 6-6-2012 at 11:51

Preparation of sodium carbonate from NaOH and urea.
Evaporate down and get a supersaturated solution.
Decomposition of H2O2 in the presence of alkali.
Agitation gives the solution the nudge it needed to crystallise.
Or any of a zillion other possibilities