Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitro Salicylic acid.

MR AZIDE - 23-5-2012 at 10:25

Says in a qualitive inorganic analysis book by Vogel, that if salicylic acid is boiled with dilute HNO3, (1:5), and poured into 4 times the volume 0f water, 5-nitro salicylic acid is produced, and crystallizes out.

Says if the HNO3 conc is about 2-3 molar, then poly-nitro salicylic acids are produced, which may explode on heating.

, it doesn't mention in the book, .. but I remember trying this, that the solution turns a brilliant deep wine red:) quickly after initiation of heating, and a strong antiseptic kind of smell is produced.

Has anyone dabbled with nitro salicylic acid before , and had any fun with it in pyro type stuff ??

Adas - 23-5-2012 at 11:39

With addition of H2SO4, it might be possible to add even more nitro groups. But I don't think the acid would be stable then.

barley81 - 23-5-2012 at 11:43

If you sulfonate the salicylic acid first, you can nitrate it to make picric acid, or 2,4,6-trinitrophenol, though this is an explosive. I might try making pure nitrosalicylic acid because it is safer (that would be my first nitration other than cotton, but that doesn't count).