Sciencemadness Discussion Board

air stones for chlorinations?

Funkerman23 - 12-5-2012 at 15:14

Granted this isn't the first time the idea of using aquarium air stones for lab work( chlorinations & the like specifically) has been brought up here but as anyone here had much luck using them? and have any of you used the blue air stones without completely ruining the reaction mixture? While gas dispersion tubes can be had I just thought this might be better for times when a flexible hose or a unusual size dispersion media would be better.. But improvising can only go so far.I of course could be wrong but opinions are greatly appreciated.

Sedit - 13-5-2012 at 05:44

The blue ones fall apart in Ether and I would think many other non-polar solvents...

Endimion17 - 13-5-2012 at 05:53

I think chlorine would destroy the binder. Those stones are some inert material glued loosely with an organic substance.

If you can supply the system with chlorine significantly above atmospheric pressure (chlorine gas bottle), use this.

It's a CO<sub>2</sub> diffuser, way less expensive than those for laboratory work, but pretty much the same thing as it's glass only.
The downside is that the pores are quite narrow, so apparatus producing chlorine at atmospheric pressure won't work.

Funkerman23 - 13-5-2012 at 07:47

fair enough, I had doubts but I thank you all for the confirmation.