Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Just curiosity - copper in still sea water

CHRIS25 - 11-5-2012 at 06:23

Living along the coast line I have found a lot of copper. Always clean and shiny, in different places sometimes a thin layer of dark oxides due to the surrounding iron. But this is Moving turbulent seawater.

But would things be different in Totally still seawater I wondered? However I decided to collect some seawater and place a clean piece of copper in it and after three days this is what has happened. The copper itself has been oxidised very slightly, actually the piece that is sticking out of the seawater is more oxidised than the piece inside, the test tube was secured with a rubber stopper.
Sorry about the quality.

It is the precipitate that surprised me. A very bright light blue which I summized might be copper chloride? Since the chlorides are third in abundance in the seawater. Yes, I really do not know so I am simply curious about what this might be.

Also The dark discolouration that is obviously oxide is DARKEST out of the seawater, and becomes very progressively lighter as it nears the bottom of the test tube. About 2cm from the bottom is shiny.

IMG_0398.JPG - 81kB

[Edited on 11-5-2012 by CHRIS25]

ScienceSquirrel - 11-5-2012 at 06:41

I would guess that the blue solid is a basic carbonate.

CHRIS25 - 11-5-2012 at 09:33

Ok.