Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cluster computing?

White Yeti - 4-3-2012 at 14:42

First I would like to say that I'm not much of a computer person and I'm not completely sure how to network computers together into a cluster. This idea came to mind when I was reading the "DIY NMR spectroscopy" thread found here:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14365

At some point, one user said that part of processing data from an Earth's field NMR device "munches up CPU space".

It would be interesting if we could network computers together to provide combined computing power for anyone who might need it.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone on this forum were performing any kind of experiment where a large amount of computing power is required.

That being said, there must be a demand for a supply. Does anyone have a serious experiment for which extra computing power would be helpful? Also, the need has to be legitimate, so no hacking;);)

I apologise in advance if this topic has been discussed before or if it is not worthy of discussion. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Endimion17 - 5-3-2012 at 04:04

I was an active part of BOINC and used it for protein folding. Donating spare time and CPU cycles is great if you have a desktop computer, but if you use a laptop, don't even try it because it might fry its insides. :)

Anyway, great idea there. If I come up with anything, ever, I'll post it here. :)