Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Consensus on UGT brand glass?

Funkerman23 - 21-1-2012 at 17:56

http://www.unitedglasstech.com/products.htm

After reading the review on Alchemy & laboy brand lab glass and then finding my Pyrex 500mL RB flask is etched( neither sand, nor detergent , nor organic solvents has removed that ring) I am torn. I need glass that can take a newbie to jointed glass( as well as the abuse associated with reagent preparation& purification) but at the same time not cost a much as a Tek 570( curve tracer for the non vacuum tube folk). Since you, the good folks here, have more experience I figured I'd ask about United Glass tech's reputation. What do you think about this company's glass quality?
My problem with the set I own now is simply that 19/22 glass isn't as popular here as 24/40( unless someone here knows where I can get 3 necked flasks higher than 500mL with straight necks that is..). Bear in mind I do this as a hobby right now...using what I can find and what I can synthesize for the most part.

I thank you for your time and your opinions.

UnintentionalChaos - 21-1-2012 at 19:06

UGT is very professional and they don't buy and resell imported glass from india or china. I can't comment on their flasks, but I use a thermometer adapter from them and found it to be very well made. I take that this is typical of their products. They also offer repair services and custom work. I don't see what the issue with an etched flask is. A few of my flasks are etched and I still use them regularly. If soap and hot water, acid, base, acetone, or hexane won't take it off, it's not going to dissolve appreciably in any reaction mix.

Magpie - 21-1-2012 at 19:26

I have been buying from UGT for several years now and have had no problems. In fact, I was impressed with a 1000mL 3-neck RBF recently when I was cooling it with an ice-pack when quite hot. One time when I ordered from UGT they sent a Wilmad flask instead of the UGT brand, which I view as an up-grade. I will order from them again.

entropy51 - 21-1-2012 at 20:19

I buy regularly from United Glass Techonology and I have had no problems with the glassware itself.

I have had a problem with them sending me something different from what I ordered, for example a different flask size or joint size. Once when I returned a condenser because it was the wrong size, they sent the same condenser back to me again. At that point I just decided to keep it and order what I wanted from another supplier.

My experience has mostly been positive however, and the glass seems to be of good quality.