Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Oxone?

Rich_Insane - 6-12-2011 at 16:14

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a good oxidizing agent lately and I think that for my purposes, oxone would be the best. Now, I'm sort of worried that pool-grade oxone might not be pure enough to use for a lot of reactions, so is there any place I could order relatively pure oxone?

I've also been wanting to perform a Hoffman rearrangement, but I really don't want to mess with the Br2/NaOH route. Is there some sort of substitute (direct hypobromite? hypochlorite?) that I could get in fairly pure form?

Ah and I'm not sure if I should put this in the thread (it's slightly unrelated, and I feel like I'm irritating you guys with all these questions), but I've been wondering how I could go about performing an amidation to the primary amine (so using NH3 or the like) on a carboxylic acid.

I was thinking of using some ammonium carbonate with the carboxylic acid -- which I was thinking of activating with boric acid (an anhydride intermediate is formed, am I right? -- source: Boric Acid-Catalyzed Amidation)

Is there a way to ensure a full reaction of ammonium carbonate with this intermediate? Is my method completely flawed? I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I didn't want to irritate the mods in other forums.

Thanks,

Richik

[Edited on 7-12-2011 by Rich_Insane]

[Edited on 7-12-2011 by Rich_Insane]