Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Most cheap chemical resitant material.

plante1999 - 30-10-2011 at 03:36

Wath is the best material/ chemical resistant for a portable hexamine fuel stove , which will be used for doing chemistry in the ''wild'' ( the stove will probably receive some chemicals on it).

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 30-10-2011 by plante1999]

White Yeti - 6-11-2011 at 12:59

Teflon.

plante1999 - 6-11-2011 at 15:41

Does teflon gloves or lab coat exist?

White Yeti - 6-11-2011 at 16:11

You didn't mention anything about gloves or a lab coat.

I'm guessing those things don't exist.

plante1999 - 6-11-2011 at 16:19

It was just a random question about PTFE.... it seem to me that PTFE is the best material for protection equipment.

I will check price for PTFE sheet. But does it will resist to the temperature of an hexamine stove?

White Yeti - 6-11-2011 at 16:24

Now That I think about it, you don't really need anything extremely chemically resistant for a hexamine stove. An aluminium canister would do the trick.

You mentioned chemical resistance and the first thing that came to mind was teflon. It would do poorly at the heart of a stove because it would not withstand the high temperatures.

Neil - 6-11-2011 at 16:28

A Teflon stove? That sounds deadly. The steel folding hexamine stoves from the dollar store work fine and are cheap enough to be easily replaced.

PTFE is very soft and unable to take pressure without flowing. it is great for making things like pipe sealing tape or gaskets but for general protective gear it is very non-physically protective. You can get Teflon impregnated cloths which are supposed to have greater then average resistance to chemicals but AFAK nylon and vinyl dominate safety gear.

plante1999 - 6-11-2011 at 16:43

I can not use steel stove ( First they dont carry it at my dollar store) the last one cost my 7$ CAN and survive only for 1 weeks (because of the HCl fumes) which is very costly... I need to find something else.

Neil - 6-11-2011 at 18:14

What about cutting up tin cans? I've had good luck with those and they are essentially free.

Perhaps you can find something ceramic at the dollar store and modify it to work? A flower pot or an egg cup?