Sciencemadness Discussion Board

buying ethylene carbonate?

symboom - 11-10-2011 at 19:20

so ive found this source seems cheaper not sure if they are going to tack on hazmat like some do for this chemical
any one got any thing from them. how is this company

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en...

UKnowNotWatUDo - 12-10-2011 at 00:26

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Sigma will not sell to individuals or ship to residential addresses. Unless you own a legitimate business with a business address to go along with it, I wouldn't even bother contacting them.

blogfast25 - 12-10-2011 at 03:49

Quote: Originally posted by UKnowNotWatUDo  
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Sigma will not sell to individuals or ship to residential addresses. Unless you own a legitimate business with a business address to go along with it, I wouldn't even bother contacting them.

It's true also of quite a few others: Alfa Aesar 'welcomed' me with open arms, then tried to make me fill in a form that was beyond the individual buyer, at least without committing fraud. Other larger chemcoms I've contacted in the past didn't even bother replying... The situation is likely to get worse for hobbyists/individuals.

And if you look at what the Big Boys charge for some stuff, I see an extorsion racket going on. Buyers of these products don't seem to care about prices, as long as they can indulge buying their favourite brand. No wonder Big Chem don't need the little guys!

[Edited on 12-10-2011 by blogfast25]

Neil - 12-10-2011 at 06:11

Talk to local companies that buy chemicals, such as cleaning companies that mix their own cleaners. some of them will re-sell chemicals or order things in for you.

White Yeti - 5-11-2011 at 08:24

How about just making it? The esterification of ethylene glycol and carbonic acid yields ethylene carbonate under acidic conditions and in the presence of an esterification catalyst.

You could give it a try.

BromicAcid - 5-11-2011 at 09:35

Reacting urea with ethylene glycol and catalytic zinc gives it as well. I never purified the material but it was an easy reaction and knowing what I know now I would have had no problem just distilling it:

http://www.bromicacid.com/carbonate.htm