Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Wierd Flask

ScienceHideout - 10-7-2011 at 15:58

Okay- Let me tell you the truth- I work at a store that sells supplies that make beer. It's fun- they have a whole bunch of conical flasks and chems for sale and everything. I am joining the affiliate program, so pretty soon I can give you a link to buy stuff and I can get a raise... but anyways... One of my coworkers (who is a lot older than me) told me he has a round bottom flask with a long neck, and he wants to give it to me, because he is afraid he will knock it over. I tell him thanks and I would enjo that, he gives it to me the next day, and it is a pyrex class A volumetric flask with a 19 glass stopper. :D WOW!!! Anyways, the flask has a large red transparent square on the neck. I thought this might be used to see the meniscus, but I can't find it's purpose. What is it for?

GreenD - 10-7-2011 at 17:07

probably if you do knock it over, the impact will hit the plastic thing.

common fallacy is that those plastic things on graduated cylinders are used to find the meniscus - they aren't. They are just if you tip it over it is less likely to break.

Mailinmypocket - 10-7-2011 at 17:25

I think he may mean that the red square is printed/etched into the glass... I may be wrong but either way, I have no idea what purpose that would serve!

ScienceHideout - 11-7-2011 at 07:14

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I think he may mean that the red square is printed/etched into the glass... I may be wrong but either way, I have no idea what purpose that would serve!

Did a whole lot of research, it is called a pyrex lifetime red flask. It says the square "eliminated the use of a filler". Is there such thing as a volumetric flask filler? What filler are they talking about?

gutter_ca - 11-7-2011 at 08:23

It's just a permanent way tosee the volume mark, the red will never etch away, you'll always be able to see the mark.