Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Urea to Uric Acid?

ScienceHideout - 20-6-2011 at 17:25

I first noticed similarities in names, then structures, and then formulae. I wanna make a youtube video showing everyone how to make uric acid from urea, but I need someone to look over my hypothesis.

5CH<sub>4</sub>N<sub>2</sub>O+H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>--->C<sub>5</sub>H<sub>4 </sub>N<sub>4</sub>O<sub>3</sub>+?

My prediction is that the ? is composed of sulfur and nitrogen oxides, and some water. The reaction seems to make the following disappear into the question mark:

16H
6N
6O
1S

Am I correct? I can figure the stoiciometry, I just need to know what to tell my viewers the other 'stuff' is.

bbartlog - 21-6-2011 at 04:33

So what makes you think that urea+H2SO4 makes uric acid? I'm not saying it can't happen, but I would rather expect urea sulfate, or urea disulfate, or sulfamic acid or ammonium sulfamate or ammonium sulfate etc. etc., so some reference to your proposed outcome would be nice.

ScienceHideout - 21-6-2011 at 08:47

If anything, it might make some ammonium sulphite, but I am not sure. I dod not know you could have urea as an ion! If you can, it should work. Just like turning a citrate into citric acid.

unionised - 22-6-2011 at 03:43

Have you actually looked at the structure of uric acid?
How do you think this "magic" synthesis you are proposing will make the chain of 3 lined carbon atoms in uric acid?

ScienceHideout - 22-6-2011 at 05:31

I looked at both structures: they seem very similar. In o-chem, anything is possible.

redox - 22-6-2011 at 06:22

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
I looked at both structures: they seem very similar. In o-chem, anything is possible.

They arent that similar.

There probably will be a reaction, but I'm guessing it will go to urea sulfate.