Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Can I use...

ScienceHideout - 14-6-2011 at 18:24

Gibberellic acid to contaminate plants with gibberella fujikuroi? I want to extract gibberellic acid... but I don't know where to begin! I have some solution (750ppm), but I need the fungus to culture.

Thanks in advance!

bbartlog - 17-6-2011 at 11:48

Can you be clearer? You have a solution (of what? gibberellic acid?), and you want to do what? Extract a sample of gibberellic acid? Culture gibberella fujikuroi to obtain more gibberellic acid?

gutter_ca - 17-6-2011 at 13:32

If I understand you correctly, you want to know if a solution of GBA will infect a plant with a fungus? Think about that question again, and I think the answer will be clear.

There may be somewhere to buy spores, but I couldn't find it.

ScienceHideout - 17-6-2011 at 17:32

Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  
If I understand you correctly, you want to know if a solution of GBA will infect a plant with a fungus? Think about that question again, and I think the answer will be clear.

That's exactly what I want to do. Can I use GBA to mutate some type of fungus?

gutter_ca - 19-6-2011 at 10:59

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  

That's exactly what I want to do. Can I use GBA to mutate some type of fungus?

No. Since the fungus is used commercially to produce GBA, you can probably find spores or culture somewhere, but I couldn't find one via five minutes on google. It might be restricted, being a plant pathogen.