Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sodium silicate stains on black stove top

deadrush - 25-8-2024 at 15:34

I boiled off water from my homemade sodium silicate solution and noticed later white splotches, dots, and such all over the oven surface. I tried sulfamic acid and sodium carbonate (separately). Any ideas?

j_sum1 - 25-8-2024 at 16:31

If you can scrape some off without scratching, that would be best. (Edit - you might have success with a pencil eraser.)
Next step, concentrated sodium hydroxide solution. But do not leave it on for any longer than necessary.

[Edited on 26-8-2024 by j_sum1]

Rainwater - 25-8-2024 at 17:07

If your taking about a ceramic or glass stove top, your faint will depend on the amount of excess sodium in the solution.
Im sorry for your loss.

If its just that painted metal or stainless steel, elbow grease and skill, your going to basicly be removing a thin layer of stuff used to glue sand paper together, once removed will scratch everything it touches.
P.S
For best results, boil under strong vacuum as exposure to CO2 will destroy your product.

[Edited on 26-8-2024 by Rainwater]

KoiosPhoebus - 21-9-2024 at 17:08

It depends on what your stained material is made of/coated with. If it's metal or maybe plastic, you should be able to get the stains out with mechanical means. One solution I've found is a fine grade steel wool - works much better than scourers in my experience. In theory, the stains (which are more likely than not precipitated silica) should dissolve in a strongly alkaline solution, but that hasn't really worked, though I have no idea why it doesn't.

On the other hand, if it's made of ceramic or other material (e.g. many glasses) that would interact with a hot alkaline solution, then you probably don't have stains, you have corrosion of some sort. You're not going to be able to remove those per se, but you might be able to sand off the corroded material to expose uncorroded material underneath.