Sciencemadness Discussion Board

HHO torch to melt gold

Chemgineer - 1-8-2024 at 16:08

I have refined some small amounts of gold and ended up with a precipitate powder.

Do you think one of the Amazon/Ebay HHO hydrogen oxygen torches would work well to melt this into a small bead?

Sir_Gawain - 1-8-2024 at 18:41

I would think so, because I’ve melted copper with a regular propane torch and copper’s melting point is slightly higher than gold.

Keras - 2-8-2024 at 00:50

Quote: Originally posted by Chemgineer  
I have refined some small amounts of gold and ended up with a precipitate powder.

Do you think one of the Amazon/Ebay HHO hydrogen oxygen torches would work well to melt this into a small bead?

I think NileRed (or NurdRage?) has a video about precipitating gold previously dissolved using aqua regis, and he uses a simple blow torch to do that. Gold powder is rather dull, IIRC. Not the bright shiny yellow colour we’re used to.

Rainwater - 2-8-2024 at 01:07

Mine is a jeweler's torch like this one (picture)HHO torches usually have a smaller flame made for cutting and welding. It will melt gold but not a large amount.
A propane oxygen flame is good. Acetylene oxygen flame is great.

Getting a batch to melt is really about keeping the heat where you want it. If you manage the losses, almost any heat source will work, even the knockoff mapp gas they sell now.

knowledgevschaos - 2-8-2024 at 02:04

With the right setup even a charcoal fire can do it.
Buying an HHO torch might be a waste of money unless you have other plans with it afterwards.