Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Why is it so hard to find benzene?

Monoamine - 7-7-2024 at 06:45

I genuinely don't understand this.

Sure there are reagents that are harder to get than others. For instance, it took me quite some time to find things like thionyl chloride or some specialized organic solvents, or semi-controlled chemicals like methylamine.

The fact that benzene is so hard to find is even stranger since toluene is super easy to get, and you can even just buy it at the hardware store.

But for simple benzene it just seems completely impossible. The only place I've seen it sold is by Sigma Aldrich - no where else.

So why is this? Is benzene internationally banned or something?

BromicAcid - 7-7-2024 at 07:32

Benzene is a known carcinogen, pretty much every place has phased it out due to safety concerns. It seems like most everything we work with is a possible/probable carcinogen but most chemicals are not known carcinogens.

EF2000 - 7-7-2024 at 07:35

Not completely banned, but phased out wherever possible and included in all regulations like REACH.
Toluene is less carcinogenic, so it's more available.

[Edited on 7-7-2024 by EF2000]

BromicAcid - 7-7-2024 at 08:16

Companies can still do it but they need safety systems in place such as monitoring programs. If an employee down the road comes up with leukemia you have issues since they can more readily trace that back to the benzene they handled while in your employ.

Texium - 7-7-2024 at 09:44

Fortunately it’s quite easy and cheap (and fun) to produce benzene from readily available sodium benzoate.

Edit: Also, I still use benzene regularly in my research because I run a lot of radical bromination reactions, and it’s a good solvent for that since it’s inert to free radicals. Carbon tetrachloride would be even better, but it is far more expensive and even harder to obtain.

[Edited on 7-7-2024 by Texium]

BromicAcid - 7-7-2024 at 14:49

@Texium - I have a reaction I run where benzene is the by-product so we have run in benzene before since we have to do the same paperwork.