Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Notes on the new NurdRage video: making sulphuric acid from sulphates and oxalic acid

Keras - 23-6-2024 at 02:59

The newest NurdRage's video shows an interesting way to produce sulphuric acid, namely by reacting a sulphate salt with oxalic acid. Since oxalic acid is way weaker than sulphuric acid, one expects only a minute amount of sulphuric acid to be made, but the fact that most metal oxalates are insoluble displaces the equilibrium towards the right and, in fine, leads to an almost quantitative reaction (IMHO).

NurdRage tested the reaction with iron sulphate, which might not have been the best idea: someone on the Patreon thread remarked that iron (II) sulphate is easily oxidised into iron (III) sulphate, whose oxalate is much more soluble, and that impacts the yield negatively. I therefore suggested to use copper (II) sulphate instead, which is widely available, does not risk over-oxidation (This reaction is even quoted verbatim on Wikipedia). Furthermore, copper (II) oxalate is given as ‘insoluble’ in water, even more so than iron (II) oxalate.

NurdRage agreed, and, as you can see in his video, while the reaction did happen as expected, he was unable to filter out the resulting copper (II) oxalate which seems to crystallise in very fine powder, and went all through his fritted funnel.

So I decided to retry his experiment, changing a few things.

To 20 mL of water in a beaker is added 6 g (24 mmol) of copper (II) sulphate. This is well under the solubility at 25 °C, but I wanted to keep leeway. When the copper (II) sulphate had dissolved, I directly added 3.8 g of oxalic acid dihydrate (30 mmol, a slight excess). The solution immediately turned from a medium blue to a light blue – copper (II) oxalate has a somewhat fascinating blue colour, both light and saturated, almost fluorescent. (See picture.)
[NurdRage dissolves the oxalic acid in water and mix both solutions, but that leads to pointless dilution of the result.]

After five minutes of stirring at room temperature I set up the vacuum filtration by using a fritted funnel into which I put a small filtering disk made of glass fibres, and atop of it a not-too-thick layer of diatomaceous earth (Celite). (See picture). I then cautiously tipped the contents of the beaker into the funnel so as to avoid to disturb the layer of Celite, and turned the vacuum pump on. To my delight, all the copper oxalate remained stuck over the Celite, while I was able to collect 20 mL of a limpid, transparent liquid in my filtering flask. (See pictures). I will have to titrate the resulting solution tomorrow. If the reaction is quantitative, it should result in 24 mmol of sulphuric acid into 20 mL of water, or a 1.2 M solution.

In any case, this process seems to work fine, provided extra mesures are taken to filter out the resulting mixture.

IMG_2330.jpeg - 346kB IMG_2331.jpeg - 303kB IMG_2334.jpeg - 466kB IMG_2335.jpeg - 297kB

EDIT: PS. Since boiling water can dissolve around 2 kg of copper (II) sulphate per litre, it is theoretically possible to produce a 8 M solution of sulphuric acid, which is slightly under 50% w/w.

But thinking about it, this process could even produce much more concentrated sulphuric acid. Since the reactants are consumed, water is liberated to dissolve more, so, in theory, there could be more copper (II) sulphate and oxalic acid put in than a given amount of water can dissolve. Assuming that:
1. Copper oxalate is insoluble in sulphuric acid, whatever its concentration.
2. There is no reverse reaction.
But that seems somehow highly suspicious.

P.PS: If some copper oxalate makes it to your fritted disc, you can remove it using 23% HCl. Copper oxalate will react to some extent with concentrated HCl to form yellowish soluble CuCl₂ that you can then wash out.

[Edited on 23-6-2024 by Keras]

Sulaiman - 23-6-2024 at 03:36

Nice experiment. Worth trying myself.
Would a coagulant/flocculent such as potassium alum help?

Keras - 23-6-2024 at 04:25

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Nice experiment. Worth trying myself.
Would a coagulant/flocculent such as potassium alum help?

Nurd tried a flocculent, IIRC, but it didn't help in the slightest.
By the way, the video is here.

[Edited on 23-6-2024 by Keras]

Alkoholvergiftung - 23-6-2024 at 05:09

I ve made nitric acid with Calciumnitrate and oxalic acid. I ve disolve the oxalic acid (300g in 300ml H2O) max concentration. I ve found when the calciumnitate solution is at roometemperature the mud can be much easier filtered if both a hot there goes a lot throught the filter paper. Maybe the same goes for Copper sulfate and oxalic acid.

[Edited on 23-6-2024 by Alkoholvergiftung]

Keras - 23-6-2024 at 05:21

Quote: Originally posted by Alkoholvergiftung  
[…] filter paper. Maybe the same goes for Copper sulfate and oxalic acid.

The problem with filter paper is that it will get destroyed by the acid if it is too concentrated.

digga - 23-6-2024 at 20:22

If the acid is too strong for the filter paper, perhaps centrifuging the mixture will suffice. I have this mental image of swing a roped bottle like a slingshot. Better have a really good knot.

[Edited on 24-6-2024 by digga]

Twospoons - 23-6-2024 at 21:22

If the two solutions were poured in carefully as two layers (denser one on the bottom), then allowed to diffuse together, would that make larger particles of copper oxalate? It would be slower, of course, but worth the wait if separation is easier.

Precipitates - 24-6-2024 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Quote: Originally posted by Alkoholvergiftung  
[…] filter paper. Maybe the same goes for Copper sulfate and oxalic acid.

The problem with filter paper is that it will get destroyed by the acid if it is too concentrated.

Filter paper just may not be fine enough to adequately filter the solution. I had problems with silver phosphide before - eventually achieving separation by allowing it to settle out in the fridge for over a week! I'm not sure if the same would occur for copper oxalate. Interestingly, I later got around this problem by performing a hot precipitation - the particles clumping together into a large airy mass.

Perhaps performing the reaction while hot, or some other alterations in conditions may help here.

I would try it, but all my copper sulphate has been converted to anhydrous and will be used to dry formic acid.

Keras - 24-6-2024 at 12:00

So I did the titration I talked about in my first message. I was not aiming for a five decimals figure, but rather just a ballpark.

I measured 5 mL of the solution obtained after filtration, added a few tiny flakes of phenolphthalein prepared 20 mL of 1 M sodium hydroxide solution and… I used around 11 mL of sodium hydroxide to neutralise the solution. If I had had 100% 1.2 M sulphuric acid, I would've used 12. So, if I’m not mistaken (I’m going to redo the measure), the yield is around 11/12 or 91%. Probably a bit lower since there was an excess of oxalic acid. I would say 85%+, which more or less jibes well with the visual absence of blue colour in the filtrate, indicating almost all the copper ions have been chelated.

If this figure is true, it is definitely much higher yielding than the iron sulphate way.

[Edited on 24-6-2024 by Keras]

clearly_not_atara - 28-6-2024 at 06:29

What was wrong with magnesium sulfate? Shouldn't that be massively cheaper than copper, and with no disposal issues?

Keras - 28-6-2024 at 06:58

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
What was wrong with magnesium sulfate? Shouldn't that be massively cheaper than copper, and with no disposal issues?

Nurd couldn’t make it work either. He got < 5% yield.