Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sulphine amide?

chornedsnorkack - 21-6-2024 at 10:24

I have no success searching for a compound or reaction if I cannot guess a correct (and unique) term.
Carbamide CO(NH2)2 is well known compound
So is ammonium carbamate NH2COONH4, which is easily though reversibly formed from CO2 and NH3.
Sulphamide SO2(NH2)2 is well known. So is ammonium sulphamate NH2SO3NH4 and also sulphamic acid NH2SO3H.
How about SO2 derivatives? SO2 is more condensable, more soluble and more acidic than CO2. H2SO3 is not readily separated, like H2SO3. Though in contrast to H2CO3, H2SO3 in addition to isomer SO(OH)2 also has an isomer HSO2OH
Searching for "sulphine amide" only yielded search results about organic derivatives in the form R-SO-NH2. Not about the obvious inorganic base compound "SO(NH2)2".
Does unsubstituted sulphine amide exist? Or does it find any redox reactions to not exist? Ammonia boils at -34 degrees, SO2 at -10, and SOCl2 is also a common reagent (liquid at room temperature). What reactions and compounds are expected when ammonia reacts with SO2 or SOCl2?

bnull - 21-6-2024 at 15:10

Quote: Originally posted by chornedsnorkack  
I have no success searching for a compound or reaction if I cannot guess a correct (and unique) term.
Try Chemspider's Chemical Structure Search or J-Global. That's where I use to go when my memory fails. J-Global was not entirely translated to English; fortunately, what you need was.

Searching for "sulphine amide" only yielded search results about organic derivatives in the form R-SO-NH2.
Not about the obvious inorganic base compound "SO(NH2)2".
Search instead for "sulfurous diamide" or "diamino sulfoxide", the former being the name given by the Chemical Structure Search. I prefer "diamino sulfoxide" for the obvious reason: it is a DMSO molecule with the methyl groups replaced by amino groups. It can't get simpler than that.

Does unsubstituted sulphine amide exist?
Apparently yes. Hangzhou J & H Chemical Co., Ltd. sells it (https://www.jhechem.com/ProductDetail/276913).

What reactions and compounds are expected when ammonia reacts with SO2 or SOCl2?
R. L. DeKock, M. S. Haddad, Gas-phase reaction of ammonia with thionyl chloride (Inorg. Chem. 1977, 16, 1, 216–217).

As far as I could check, diamino sulfoxide is as interesting as sand in the desert: according to entry in J-global, only 4 articles in 30 years. I wonder why.