Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Australian NaBH4/Sodium Borohydride/16940-66-2

superreductant - 1-2-2024 at 12:34

Paging all fellow Aussies!

Just wanted to put some proverbial feelers out to see if anyone in Aus would be willing to sell around 100-500g of everyone's favourite borohydride. Will happily pay for postage etc, of course. I'll be contacting the obligatory usual on and off-forum chemical suppliers, but I tend to find people are generally more welcoming on SM and also don't treat you like a criminal like certain big-name chemical suppliers...

Anyway, if you wanna make some easy money and help me out, shoot me a U2U message!

P.s. Suitable alternatives might be any other lithium or sodium hydride (meaning literally LiH or NaH), or any other metal borohydride...

FableP - 1-2-2024 at 18:33

I'm in the same boat, I don't have any experiments in the pipeline right now that need it, but having some borohydride on hand would be fantastic.
Currently its Zn reduction or bust.

I disposed of some a few years ago but it was tritiated and not for use outside the isotope lab.

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by FableP]

superreductant - 1-2-2024 at 20:49

Indeed. It's such a versatile compound for reductions obviously, but some of the derivative borohydrides or hydride complexes sound fascinating. Not to mention one could even synthesise Red-Al by reacting certain hydrides with 2-methoxyethanol fairly easily.

Quote: Originally posted by FableP  
I'm in the same boat, I don't have any experiments in the pipeline right now that need it, but having some borohydride on hand would be fantastic.
Currently its Zn reduction or bust.

I disposed of some a few years ago but it was tritiated and not for use outside the isotope lab.

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by FableP]