Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Filter madness

Fulmen - 4-4-2021 at 11:08

I needed a better supply of large filter paper, so I found a shop with those basket style coffee filters in a "203mm" size which I assumed was the diameter of the filter.
Couldn't get a price from the website and the shop was closed to customers (order ahead and they deliver your goods on the outside) but I figured it was worth a gamble. I mean, how much could some coffee filters cost?

Turns out it cost around 100dollars! WTF? But I'm not complaining, these are 460mm in diameter (18"), weighing about 1.5kg for 250pcs. That's a LOT of filter paper...

Edit: forgot to mention it was coffee filters

[Edited on 4-4-21 by Fulmen]

Fyndium - 4-4-2021 at 13:02

Specialty product. They buy them from filter factory in bulk, relabel them as scientific instrument and add few zeroes to the price. Same applies for medical instruments: accredited ventilator can cost 20k$ apiece, while the parts could be mostly assembled and 3d-printed otherwise for few hundred $.

200mm diameter filter is pretty nice. I bought otc basket style filters 100mm diameter just in case I need them in my frits for 7€ for 250pcs.

Fulmen - 4-4-2021 at 13:12

Sorry, I forgot to specify "coffee filters". And they aren't 200mm they are 460mm when flattened.

Dr.Bob - 4-4-2021 at 13:20

Somewhere in my pile I still have a box of huge sheets of filter paper in rectangles, I think about 16 x 20", but that is just a rough guess from memory. If anyone is looking for something to cut their own from, let me know. As well, I have a few odd boxes of various sizes, but many are thicker than "normal" filter paper.

Fyndium - 4-4-2021 at 14:27

I got you, the specified diameter is the bottom of the basket. My papers are about 300mm wide when spread out in circular sheet.

Fulmen - 5-4-2021 at 09:49

That was really the size I was looking for, but I'm glad I found these.