Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Digital pH meter

ELRIC - 25-3-2021 at 17:08

I purchased a digital pH meter a few months ago and finally used it today for someone else. The someone else is an ex-environmental analysis tech. She wanted me to test several different beverages after a trip to the dentist. Upon completion I was told that I need to store the probe in distilled water and that it should never become dry after use. I have never heard of this. Can anyone confirm/deny? Thanks in advance.

RustyShackleford - 25-3-2021 at 17:13

DO NOT keep a pH brobe in distilled water. It will get ruined!
It should be stored in 4M KCl solution.
Also it should never be left dry

[Edited on 26-3-2021 by RustyShackleford]

Corrosive Joeseph - 25-3-2021 at 18:10

Quote: Originally posted by RustyShackleford  

]

I have often pondered if NaCl solution is an acceptable replacement.

/CJ

ELRIC - 26-3-2021 at 03:22

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I had some KCl, or at least what I thought was KCl. Turns out I got ripped off. I believe it to be K₂SO₄ instead based off of solubility and an SDS. Funny thing about labels. Looks like a quick trip to town is in order. I could just take one for the team and try the sodium salt like CJ mentioned.......

RustyShackleford - 26-3-2021 at 03:25

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  
Quote: Originally posted by RustyShackleford  

]

I have often pondered if NaCl solution is an acceptable replacement.

/CJ

No! the brobes themselves are filled with KCl solution or a jelly of it. storing it in a NaCl solution would do nothing to prevent the KCl inside from migrating out, thus ruining the probe.

[Edited on 26-3-2021 by RustyShackleford]

RustyShackleford - 26-3-2021 at 03:29

Quote: Originally posted by ELRIC  
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I had some KCl, or at least what I thought was KCl. Turns out I got ripped off. I believe it to be K₂SO₄ instead based off of solubility and an SDS. Funny thing about labels. Looks like a quick trip to town is in order. I could just take one for the team and try the sodium salt like CJ mentioned.......

ppt the sulfate with stoiciometric CaCl2. Should be good enough to work as storage fluid.