Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Valence orbital ionization potential (VOIP)

madchemistry - 4-3-2011 at 08:46

Hello everybody, I'm here again :)
This time I want to discuss about VOIP. I found this concept in a book, bui I didn't manage to understand what really is it. Surfing the web I succeed only in finding papers I can't read, 'cause they're in scientific journal, but nothing for studying on. Someone can explain me briefly what is this strange form of ionization potential?

[Edited on 4-3-2011 by madchemistry]

Bot0nist - 4-3-2011 at 09:10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion#Ionization_potential

Hope this sheds some light.

madchemistry - 4-3-2011 at 09:38

But there it talks about generical ionization energy, not about VOIP...

smuv - 4-3-2011 at 09:50

I am a crappy physical chemist...but....

Since electrons are almost always lost/gained from the valence shells, I believe you can interpret the standard, readily available, ionization potentials of elements as the VOIP.

Bot0nist - 4-3-2011 at 09:54

That's what I thought as well, but I really am not sure either.

madchemistry - 4-3-2011 at 09:59

No, they are different concept. They also differ numerically. Overallo, VOIP are referrend for each orbital!
For example, for F there is a potential ionization of 17, 42 eV, instead VOIP are 46,4 for the 2s and 18,7 for the 2p...

smuv - 4-3-2011 at 10:13

Good thing I made the disclaimer :)

Then IDK, but, if you are really interested and no one knows, maybe I can search some databases and find a literature review about it.

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by smuv]

kmno4 - 4-3-2011 at 10:54

Definition of VOIP, with easy calculations can be found (for example) here:
Code:
http://www.springerlink.de/content/j5w441w1xm643115/
This article contains very simple mathematics - there is nothing to be afraid of :). But you may be not interested in reading "cause they're in scientific journal, but nothing for studying on".

madchemistry - 4-3-2011 at 11:16

Scientific Journal can't be read online so I can't study on them.
I don't know if you do, but I haven't a online subscription and I was searching, if possible, something to study in the weekend. Obviously if there is nothing online, on Monday I will search for the article you posted, at the university!