Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Electrolysis of NaCl with Fe - what are the side products?

Draeger - 20-4-2020 at 09:19

Since I don't know anything about electrolysis, I am wondering which side products would be made while doing the electrolysis of NaCl solution with Fe, since I am worried that it would produce chlorine, since I can only do this in a closed space.

subskune - 20-4-2020 at 09:25

iron as electrode or as salt in solution?

Draeger - 20-4-2020 at 09:26

Quote: Originally posted by subskune  
iron as electrode or as salt in solution?

Oh. Forgot to state it. As electrode.

Alpine2048 - 20-4-2020 at 09:29

Are you using iron as both the anode and cathode? And what voltage and current are you running the cell under. Different voltages prompt different reactions to be favourable.

I would say you are likely going to produce some Fe2O3 in any case if the iron isn't stainless.

subskune - 20-4-2020 at 09:32

On the cathode h2 is produced and the iron will work fine there. On the anode the iron oxidizes instead of chlorine and probably forms some iron chloride.

Draeger - 20-4-2020 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by Alpine2048  
Are you using iron as both the anode and cathode? And what voltage and current are you running the cell under. Different voltages prompt different reactions to be favourable.

I would say you are likely going to produce some Fe2O3 in any case if the iron isn't stainless.

Both cathode and anode. And I am running at only 1.5V since that's what a battery can do. I'm not sure that low voltage actually works out, though. It's just what I have most available.

I want it to produce Fe2O3.

subskune - 20-4-2020 at 09:38

if it is a one pot reaction that might actually work as the hydroxide from the cathode crushes out the chloride at the anode and in the end there will be some iron oxy-hydroxide mixture.

Draeger - 20-4-2020 at 09:39

Quote: Originally posted by subskune  
On the cathode h2 is produced and the iron will work fine there. On the anode the iron oxidizes instead of chlorine and probably forms some iron chloride.

Ah. Thanks.