Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Condensing reports to single file formats

chemrox - 17-12-2010 at 14:02

I need to be able to gather documents, spreadsheets, graphs, photographs and illustrations into a single file that I can email to the end reader as a signed report. I am able to do this with a scanner but it makes n o sense to print when no one needs hard copy. I am confident that others here are way ahead of me on this and my question would be what software should I be using assuming we're going to stay within a windows platform or a linux system? Thanks for any and all information related to this.

not_important - 17-12-2010 at 15:31

OpenOffice Writer, even though it has various problems and issues, will let you put together a document containing images and whatnot. You can ship the document itself, OO is available for *NIX, Win, & Mac, or export it as a PDF file while retaining the editable format for your own use.

crazedguy - 17-12-2010 at 16:47

Use Microsoft word would be the easiest word files can be opened by the linux or you could use open office on linux.

not_important - 17-12-2010 at 18:30

Should not that newer MSWord versions are not always fully successfully read and displayed by non-MS programs, OO while more limited is fully cross-platform compatible. OO is free as well, while MSOffice is $ which can be considerable for non-(students, NPO, and similar).

smuv - 18-12-2010 at 08:50

Just print to pdf and combine the pdfs (using adobe acrobat, or other pdf writer) or print to image (TIFF or postscript) and combine the images to make a pdf (again using pdf writer).

chemrox - 21-12-2010 at 11:18

I think this last one is the way we'll go. Thanks all for your replies.