Sciencemadness Discussion Board

acid stained aluminum

prometheus1970 - 27-11-2010 at 16:52

First off, I realize this has nothing to do with energetics except I was synthing nitrocellulose when my problem arose), but I know the frequent posters in this section better and find a faster resopnse here so here goes:

(I'm using an aluminum toolbox (like you'd find in the back of a pickup truck) as my workbench and spilled some sulfuric acid/nitrate salt/ bicarb solution on it and it turned white where the liquid spilled. It's not the end of the world (I don't really care, it still works as well as ever), but my wife is really picky about taking care of stuff and it would make my life easier if there were some fairly easy way to reverse that result. Any ideas?

bfesser - 28-11-2010 at 07:54

Aluminum polish.

Mr. Wizard - 28-11-2010 at 20:55

Aluminum polish they sell for polishing aluminum wheels at the automotive store will work. If the base metal is smooth, and not covered with diamond grid patterns, you might want to do some light sanding with 220 grit wet or dry, then 400, then 600. Use a backing block to keep from gouging into the metal. A rubber sanding block would be best. The aluminum polish will take it from there. Be careful, as the aluminum is soft, and sandpaper scratches have to be sanded out with the next finer grade. If it has the 'diamond plate' pattern, stay away from the sandpaper altogether.

I'm with you on this one, let it stay as is. If the wife wants it shiny, give her the polish.;)