Sciencemadness Discussion Board

storing hops etc

food - 26-9-2010 at 11:13

Hi
I have a question; it's not strictly hops-specific, but I am currently harvesting a modest amount of hops that I will freeze after I feel that they're dry enough. I did this last year and the hops that I used from the freezer seemed fine to me.

Oxidation of some of the hops components is to be avoided; it will impact the flavour in a negative way. As an extra precaution would anyone have any suggestions for something that would help in this respect. I see food with packets of 'anti-oxidant'. If I could add a 'tea bag' of something like that; something otc?

thanks

psychokinetic - 26-9-2010 at 12:24

If only there was some kind of vessel full of microbes that could ferment the hops and keep is for you. . . . .

Though seriously, freezing sounds like a good idea.

crazyboy - 26-9-2010 at 12:38

Just store them in a plastic bag in the freezer with as little oxygen as possible. I don't know what "anti-oxidant" packets you are referring to. The only packets I have seen with food are packets of silica gel meant to absorb moisture not oxygen.

Magpie - 26-9-2010 at 12:50

I have also seen little packets meant to absorb oxygen. I believe they contained sodium bisulfite or similar sulfite salt.

food - 26-9-2010 at 18:12

Freezing has worked well so far, and my freezer is way cold. It was an article on hop make up and chemistry that got me wondering. And I think that I've wondered about this before in other contexts.

Around here I've been seeing small packets inside beef jerky packaging; not as large as dessicant packets that I see, and iirc they're labeled as anti-oxidant.

As for the 'vessel full of microbes that could ferment the hops' etc .. dude! that's me that your describing!

psychokinetic - 27-9-2010 at 01:08

Some instant noodles come with O2 suckers.

food - 27-9-2010 at 14:52

instant noodles?

good to know, I'm going to keep an eye out for that

I'd eat instant noodles; it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make

Ozone - 27-9-2010 at 15:25

I keep mine in the freezer. Mine come in the aluminized mylar bags which keep the "freezer flavor" out. Fresh granulated activated carbon also adsorbs free O2.

Cheers,

O3

not_important - 27-9-2010 at 15:44

Some of the anti-oxidant packets contain iron powder plus a bit of other stuff; they are decent sources of small amounts of iron 'filings'. You could use iron filings I suspect.

Use CO2 to flush the bags if you're really worried, either a small bit of dry ice or make your own from NaHCO3/whatever acid.

food - 28-9-2010 at 17:06

ok and ok

I just heard about those mylar bags and their odour-blocking properties. Hadn't realized that was one of their strengths. I just thought it was supposed to look glossy! "Anything that you may wonder about, industry has already solved it", I was told.

zed - 1-10-2010 at 18:42

Hey. Store it in a relative vacuum. Then freeze it.

Special bags are available for such a procedure. Here in The States, on late night television.....they advertise a special device for removing air, from special vacuum storage bags.

You could improvise though. But, get the air out.

food - 5-10-2010 at 17:43

will check that

I'm gaining a new respect for packaging

"retort pouches", yow!

the name alone inspires respect

I checked out one of those oxygen absorber packets; damn if the thing didn't stick to a magnet! Iron filings! I was expecting something a bit more space-age. Mind you, I don't what else is in there