Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ethanolamine and formaldehyde

katlady - 26-6-2009 at 10:14

Can anyone explain to me how ethanolamine (or monoethanolamine, MEA) works to bind free formaldehyde gas? I am asking in relation to working with cadavers, as apparently MEA is used to reduce the formaldehyde gas that is released into the ambient air.

Thanks for your help.

entropy51 - 26-6-2009 at 12:25

The ethanolamine probably reacts with the formaldehyde to yield a triazine, a six-membered ring containing 3 carbons and 3 nitrogens. Such a triazine is marketed as Grotan, a disinfectant. It apparently slowly releases formaldehyde, and is I think claimed to be non-carcinogenic.

As someone who had to dissect a cadaver, it sounds like an excellent idea. Opening the body cavities was a sinus-clearing experience if you had your nose over it. Seems like the faculty could have warned us beforehand, but they didn't.

P.S. Sauron, I thought of that, but in the context of the question I thought KatLady might not be looking for the rigorous answer.

[Edited on 26-6-2009 by entropy51]

Sauron - 26-6-2009 at 13:02

For a more rigorous answer go to forum library and download the little book "Formaldehyde" and turn to the chapter on reactions with amines.

chemoleo - 27-6-2009 at 07:48

I should think the reaction went further than just the cyclic version, as there are two functional groups on ethanolamine - NH2 and OH. Both can react with CH2O forming -NH-CH2OH (and -N(CH2OH)2) and O-CH2OH, which in turn condense further. The final product could be polymeric and complex.
Btw, I checked the book, but ethanolamine isn't specifically mentioned - only deliberations on either hydroxy aliphatics or amines/amides.