Sciencemadness Discussion Board

rejuvinating old rubber?

angelhair - 1-6-2008 at 22:17

I have one of those rubber sleaves that sit's under a buchner filter funnel that has gone a bit hard and doesn't let me gat a good vacuum anymore. Is here any way to soften it? I don't know what kind of rubber it is.

DrP - 2-6-2008 at 02:04

Hmm... for hard and cracked rubber steering wheel restoration they wash/scrub with a concentrated detergent solution (washing up liquid in water) to remove old oils, file down the cracks and re-fill them with an epoxy glue. I wonder if something like that will work for you sleave. I don't know if it will work or not but perhaps just a mild solvent wash will soften it ?? Or perhaps the scrub with detergent and mild solvent? Maybe coating it with a flexible polymer glue will give it the 'give' and softness it needs to hold a vacuum... just guessing really - hope it works.

PS - if that doesn't work (washing out the oils could have the opposite effect) - than how about trying the opposite and massaging in some moistorising cream or baby oil or something - you never know.

[Edited on 2-6-2008 by DrP]

Dilligaf - 2-6-2008 at 09:36

This is old timey but try soaking in ammonia water. . rubbing with glycerine might work. I believe Armoral makes an otc rubber treatment. . If you can't find something contact me offline, I work in the printing industry and we use a commercial rubber rejuvinator to soften rubber printing rolls, I could send you a small bottle.

DrP - 3-6-2008 at 00:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf
we use a commercial rubber rejuvinator to soften rubber printing rolls, I could send you a small bottle.

Does it say what the main constituents in it are? Is there an MSDS with the info on or something?

DrP - 3-6-2008 at 06:18

OK - I had a search around online regarding rubber rejuvenation just out of interest. I saw some guy on another forum suggesting that he uses brake fluid on rubber when he runs out of the rubber re-gen stuff. I think brake fluid is a mixture of glycol ethers amongst other things, but mainly the glycol ether. Thus I reckon that that the right solvent would soften it up if scrubbed in a bit.

Dilligaf - 3-6-2008 at 16:51

The stuff is from superior solvents, according to the MSDS it is Oxybispropanolmethylether
I would be careful using brake fluid, we used to use it as a cheap tire black when I was a kid, after a while the tires started showing signs of weather checking

MagicJigPipe - 3-6-2008 at 21:50

Almost oily substance will work. I have done this hundreds of times. Lemon oil, WD40, baby oil, mineral oil. Pretty much any lubricant also. Of course, there are always exceptions and you should do a small test spot before covering the whole thing.

janger - 4-6-2008 at 18:14

Silicone spray seems to rejuvenate and soften some types of rubber. However I onced sprayed some on my pushbike tire. Within several weeks it turned yellowish (sulphur?) and began cracking more than the non-sprayed areas.