Sciencemadness Discussion Board

brake fluid as engine coolant

xxxxx - 8-5-2008 at 16:01

dot 5 brake fluid has a boiling point of 500F. i was wondering if brake fluid might make a good engine coolant for a small displacement (six stroke diesel, or not) motorcycle or moped, so the engine could run hotter and more efficiently. i also wanted to ask how hot a motorcycle engine could be run without damaging it and how much fuel might be saved.

evil_lurker - 8-5-2008 at 16:28

Heat is generally not good for a motor.

Heat causes metal to swell slightly, and hence the reasons motors lock up when they overheat. Furthermore more heat equals less efficancy because as the hotter the motor gets, the less air goes into the cylinders. Furthermore, too much heat inside a diesel could promote detonation.

DOT brake fluid is not designed for use inside an internal combustion engine... it absorbs moisture, so there goes your idea for a 6 stroke using that.

MagicJigPipe - 8-5-2008 at 16:47

Dude, like evil said, heat causes INefficiency! Why do you think people put cold air intakes on their vehicles and try to keep the temperatures down as far as possible? Also, part of the reason nitrous oxide works so well is because of the cooling effect it has.

dann2 - 9-5-2008 at 13:12

The DOT 3 may have little or no lubricating ability.

As far as getting higher efficiency from hotter running engines, the diesel ceramic engine was being explored.
It ran at a very high temperature. If you could have metal or ceramic that would take the mechanical stress at higher temperatures you will get an engine with greater efficiency than one that is cooled with water.
Never heard of the ceramic engine in a commercial vehicle.

I believe the cool air intakes and intercoolers on engines are more got to do with getting more power from a given engine, not the same as greater fuel efficiency.

Dann2

[Edited on 9-5-2008 by dann2]

MagicJigPipe - 9-5-2008 at 15:07

Yes, it increases the amount of air that reaches the combustion chamber thereby allowing better and more complete combustion of the fuel. In order to increase efficiency, certainly the fuel to air ratio would HAVE to be changed. In other words, it would need a different engine setup so having more heat in a normal engine would be BAD.