Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Finding out the concentration of H2O2 in a detergent

Zinc - 26-3-2008 at 12:23

I have a detergent that contains 5-15% of H2O2. Anyone know how could I find the exact concentration?

Nicodem - 26-3-2008 at 12:37

By titration, for example. For oxidants, the general titration procedure is to oxidize a known amount of KI and then reductively titrate it with Na2S2O3 with starch as indicator until the iodine-starch color disappears. The exact procedure should be described in analytical chemistry schoolbooks. Probably there are also other methods more specifically made for H2O2. If you know that the concentrations of the detergent and other components are negligible you can estimate the H2O2 concentration from the density. You can also do a volumimetric test by decomposing H2O2 with a metal catalyst and measuring the volume of the evolved oxygen.

JohnWW - 26-3-2008 at 12:38

In view of the thread about obtaining I2 from KI by reaction with H2O2 solution, I wonder if that could be used as the basis for some sort of analytical method. It should be somewhere in the AOAC Official Methods Of Analysis, - send me a message if you want the links for them.

ScienceGeek - 26-3-2008 at 13:45

Can't one titrate with Potassium Permanganate as well? I think maybe I remember doing that!